Well, I am about a month and a half late on getting this out, but here's some things that a daddy has been reflecting on. I must admit that even though there have been trials in the past year, the one thing that has been a total joy from the Lord has been becoming a Dad. I don't think I ever truly realized how much I wanted to be a Daddy to a little one. From the moment Amanda and I received the picture, I have been just so joyful over being a Dad. We have been greatly blessed in having a child who is funny, goofy, silly, and completely a joy to be around. Have we had temper tantrums, not listening, etc., sure. But even those things are great as Elijah is learning to do those things less and less.
So here are the precious things about being a Daddy in no particular order(just a few, or I'd put pages up here).
1. Coming home from work to chants of Daddy, Daddy!!!
2. Group hugs with Mommy, Daddy, and Elijah and all of us giggling.
3. Alone time with my Elijah and realizing that until he can recognize who Christ is, I am to represent a Christ to him.
4. Going to the zoo and doing whatever Elijah wants. Even if every thing he likes the most costs extra money (carousel, zoo train, etc...)
5. Elijah snuggling on my chest and then lifting his head and we both get the hysterical giggles for about 10 minutes before bed. (Ask Amanda, it happens all the time)
6. Elijah praying with Amanda and I with his hands clasped, head down and a loud AMEN!!! at the end.
7. Elijah playing with all of his cousins and just loving other children.
8. Elijah bringing smiles and joy to people no matter where we go. We have met 100's of extra people since we brought him home. He seems to start conversations with everybody he meets.
9. Going in his room in the morning and hearing "HI, HI Daddy".
10. His ever and ongoing friendship with our dog Dixie. They are a couple of rascals together. He's always trying to sneak her food.
11. Elijah's love for his grandparents. He loves his Mimi, Papa, Grandma, and Grandpa. I pray that he is close with them always, as I was with my grandparents, whom I still miss terribly.
12. Elijah, Amanda and I just hanging out anywhere. Doesn't matter where, it's just fun to go as a family. Praise Jesus Christ for this family.
13. Elijah's soft-side, he gives everyone Jesus hugs and kisses. And many of you know what it means when Elijah is told to "be a gentleman". A kiss of the hand like a princess deserves.
14. Running around the backyard discovering the world with him. You forget all the simple joys of this life as rocks, bark, bugs, and flowers.
15. Just teaching him to read his Bible at an early age. I can't wait till he gets it, even though I don't want him to grow up too fast.
Needless, to say I could write 100 more things, but I have been just blown-away by what a great blessing being a parent is. I don't care how tired and crabby I am, I will always try to be a Christ-like figure to my son and wife. They bring me joy second only to the one who saved my soul, Jesus Christ my King and Savior.
Colossians 3:17 is my life verse:
And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.
Thank you Jesus